‘Lord Vader?’ ‘Yes Master?’ ‘Rise.’
As I’m writing this, millions are queuing outside local cinemas around the world, to catch the final installment of the Star Wars Saga. In a rare occurrence for the prequels, reviews have generally favourable too. I’m excited. But after recently watching the original trilogy again, plus Episodes I and II on the weekend, there are a few plot points I hope Mr Lucas will clear up in Episode III. If anyone out there can enlighten me on any of these, please do not hesitate. It’s keeping me up at night.
- What exactly happens to Jedis when they die? Why do some vanish, while others’ bodies remain? During the battle on Geonosis, there were several dead Jedi bodies lying on the ground after being struck. There was even a shot of Obi-Wan checking the pulse of one of the fallen. Qui-Gon Jin didn’t vanish when he was killed be Darth Maul, and was cremated; as was Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Episode VI. Yet, when Obi-Wan was struck down by Vader in Episode IV, he vanished, as did Yoda when he died.
- Who exactly was Obi-Wan’s master? In Episode V, while unconscious in the ice cave on Hoth, Luke hears Obi-Wan’s voice telling him to seek out Yoda, the Jedi who trained him. Yet Obi-Wan was obviously Qui-Gon Jin’s apprentice.
- Does Anakin Skywalker have a father? We first hear that he didn’t have a father; that the midi-chlorians created him. But in Episode II, Anakin bitterly described the way he was being treated by Obi-Wan as ‘He’s just like my father’.
- Princess Leia and the force. Darth Vader described Luke as a disturbance in the force’. Given that Leia is Luke’s sister, why wasn’t Vader able to sense a strong force from her after she was captured and tortured?
- R2D2 and C3PO: How come neither of them recognised Tatooine when their escape pod crashed there? R2 first visited Tatooine on Queen Amidala’s ship, while C3PO was created there. Both of them would also surely know who Luke’s real father is. Do they have their memories erased somewhere between Episodes III and IV? Even so, why didn’t Luke’s uncle and aunt recognise C3PO after purchasing them from the Jawa traders? C3PO was working for them after Anakin’s mother was sold to Lars Owen.
That’s it for now. I feel like a such a Star Wars nerd. Actually, a Star Wars nerd wannabe; because I wouldn’t have to ask these questions if I was a true Star Wars nerd. Have a nice day. May 19 5:00pm Update: Just got home after seeing Revenge of the Sith. I can say that only question 5 was partially answered. Oh, and how was the movie? Three words: Fan-fucking-tastic.